Friday, February 27, 2009

Gasoline Marketing (and other regrets)


"Gasoline Marketing and other regrets"
by George Richard Wagoner, Jr.

AN EXCERPT:
You know, if I had to choose the absolute worst decision of my time at General Motors as Chariman & CEO, it would be finally admitting to everyone that axing the EV1 electric-car program and not putting the right resources into hybrids made us look awful. Yes, yes, this is something that everyone has known for a while, but...you know, I thought I'd get around to mentioning that. Did everyone else see the coming trends of automobile-making? Sure. But it's not like it really screwed us. It didn't affect profitability, just innovation.

Oh, also, we need $30 billion to stay out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. No, the $13.4 billion in federal loans in 2009 haven't been enough. And yes, I'm aware that it's only February. But we lost $9.6 billion in the Fourth Quarter.

Annnnnnnnnnnd if you haven't figured out who killed the electric car yet, I assure you I didn't, but man, did I stab that motherfucker a few times. I didn't exactly kill the electric car. I mean, I wasn't in completely charge until 2000. That son of a bitch was on its deathbed by the time I first sat in my big comfy chair. So...eat it.

And yet...I'm still the best thing to come out Delaware.

No comments: